...art is a by-product of the experience of being with yourself, of living within patience. -- Robert Beer

3.7.06

Miro Heal





Material

- Timor medicine container on metal base
- replica of Majapahit terracotta beads
- fruit seed beads
- black vinyl wire

Concept

I like the shape of Timor medicine container made of bamboo. Straight. The geometrical pattern carved on the body is also interesting. It looks modern and plain at the same time.

It took me long time to think what art can be applied to this container while keeping the carving ‘undisturbed’. I selected many beads that can go with the carving. Hm.. I can only work with plain beads, no color either.

Now, how? I know it has to be wire, not cord. I cut the wire and played with it. I almost gave up the idea. There’s no way I could make art with this already beautiful container.

But I kept simulating my imagination. I thought about “the universe” with planets around it. The word heal kept lingering (perhaps the notion of medicine). Half way finished, I saw Miro’s style. With the concept, I finished to the end. I smiled to see the finished artwork. Yea.. Miro.

I like to call it Miro Heal then.

Date: 3 July 2006 19:01

2 comments:

Belinha Fernandes said...

Another beatifull object!The medicine container was already very nice before your well achieved artistic disturbance!

Saxman said...

I like it how the planets circle the cylinder! Nice balance through imbalance...